We have been busting our butt getting ready for Thanksgiving. I'm not going to admit what time I'm posting this, but I will tell you that if I don't go to bed soon, I may as well just stay awake. :-P
Here is my menu for the day:
- Roasted turkey (I even made stock to use for the gravy this year!)
- Classic mashed potatoes
- Cornbread dressing with onions, fennel (because I'm allergic to celery), apples, water chestnuts and pecans
- Smushed sweet potatoes and apples (we love these, we might even try to incorporate them into the wedding menu)
- French green beans with roasted nuts and dried cranberries
- Whole kernel corn (because I'm weird and I like to mix it with my mashed potatoes)
- Cranberry sauce (I made it with orange juice, a little drizzle of molasses and a splash of honey cherry wine)
- Oprah biscuits (I totally cheat on the biscuits and use the Southern style Grands. Thanks for the tip, Oprah!)
- Black cherry gelatin with black cherries, pineapple and pecans (I feel a little dumb admitting to making Jello, but it's our weird family tradition. Although this year I'm putting my own spin on it and I'm making a mold with my Williams-Sonoma pumpkin patch mold. I know. I'm a dork.)
- Pumpkin bread pudding with caramel sauce and whipped cream
I don't know who took these pictures, because they were sent to me. We didn't dress our dogs up as turkeys. However, we did dress Gracie up like this for Halloween once, and Dylan pointed out that a Native American costume would be somewhat appropriate for the occasion:
Now if only we had a pilgrim outfit for Franklin. He went as Elvis.
But I digress...
HAPPY THANKSGIVING! Remember to think about what you're thankful for today!